Thinking about submitting a story, poem, or play to The Breakroom Stories? We can't wait to read it! Here are the details of our submission process:
- - Send us your submissions as doc, docx, txt, rtf, odt attachments via our Submittable page
- - In the subject line of your submission, please include the title of your story.
- - In the covering note for your email, include a 2-3 sentence biography you'd like to have included with your work.
- - We welcome simultaneous submissions
- - We accept previously published material
- - We don't have a strict word limit. However, pieces that could be read aloud in a span of fifteen to thirty minutes generally recieve preference. (Longer pieces may be divided into individual "episodes.")
- - Please do not send an audio recording of your work. Upon acceptance, editorial staff will work with authors to develop the best recording strategy for their stories.
- - Please allow four weeks for a response. If you do not recieve an answer from us within that timeframe, please send a follow-up email via the contact page to give us a nudge.
- -Stories depcting child-aged characters being harmed will be rejected.
- - Authors will be paid $10 upon publication of their work. With that $10, The Breakroom Stories purchases one-time publication rights. When we publish original work, we humbly request acknowledgment in future publications of that work.
We're looking for extremely well-written (and thoroughly edited) fiction, plays, and poetry. We like strange tales. The selection process is subjective, but for examples of work we love, see the fiction of Amelia Gray, Timmy Reed, or Zoltan Komor. They all have work available online, including in the archives of this very magazine.
We are also in search of visual artwork, music, and video footage to accompany the stories we publish. To submit such material, please enquire via our contact page (include the phrase "artwork submission," "music submission," or "video submission" in the subject line of your enquiry).